Friday, May 21, 2010

C++ n00b who just got a book- ONOZ! What prerequisites do I need??

Yeah =] I just grabbed a book entitled "DATA STRUCTURES: A Pseudocode Approach with C++"





I'm guessing the name should have given it away that I would be very lost at about 10 pages in.





The book claims to be geared towards entry level coders, but much of the material alludes to programming in C++ with no attempt to clarify, simultaneously incorporating 'pseudocode'....





Well, my question is what should I study before delving into this book to maximize the learning I get from it? I.E. how far into C++ should I read before beginning with this pseudocode approach on it, should I continue learning through this approach... etc. =/





And should I learn something completely different all together before I even get into C++?





=] Thank you for reading!

C++ n00b who just got a book- ONOZ! What prerequisites do I need??
I feel confused just reading the title of the book.


Anyway, start with the basics, figure out what each command and operator is. So you have a more general idea of all the terminology. Like they say, never jump into a freezing lake, get your feet wet first, other wise you will have a shock of a life time.





Get your self a C++ compiler so you can see the results of your work.


Here is a decent one:


www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html





This page should help you get those feet wet


http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/





After which you should get the terminology down, good enough so that book doesn't look so much as a foreign language to you.





Anyway good luck


An hope this helped.
Reply:You should learn VB.Net first, it is much easier, I think so anyway. I learned just by making simple programs such as calculators and that.





Just go to the Windows' Download site and find Visual Studio Express Edition 2005 and download it and during the installation and make sure you install the MSDN stuff.

potential breakup song

No comments:

Post a Comment